The University of North Carolina at Asheville has experienced several transitional moves of its campus location. In 1927, UNCA established its roots as Buncombe County Junior College. In 1929, the Great Depression contributed to the nearby College of the City of Asheville closing. The two schools were consolidated to create Biltmore Junior College.
1936 brought another change of name, making it Asheville-Biltmore College. With the desire to have its “own” campus, the college relocated to the former County Home for Children – presently the site of Grace Covenant Presbyterian Church on Merrimon Avenue in North Asheville.
From 1949 to 1961, Asheville-Biltmore College was located in the Overlook Castle, also known as Seely’s Castle after its original owner, philanthropist Fred Loring Seely. After it outgrew the castle, Asheville-Biltmore College then moved to the current campus in north Asheville. It became a state-supported college in 1963, followed by the presentation of its first bachelor’s degrees in 1966. The following years the school saw the construction of its first residence halls in 1967, followed by more academic buildings.